Three Kids

Three Kids

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Black Hills Day 4 (part 1)

It was pretty cold when we got up on Saturday morning (about 48 degrees), but we ate breakfast and headed out on a drive! We decided to drive to Custer State Park and go for a walk/hike.

I completely burst out laughing when we got out of the car to hike, and Jax immediately dropped to the ground for push ups to get himself ready.

We stopped at Sylvan Lake! It was absolutely beautiful! Had it been warmer, we would have swam there too!




The kids and I made it across the rocks - and nobody fell in. Ha!




I did not like this bridge though. The drop off on the other side was really far down and it freaked me out!





There were climbers on the top of this ... hard to see in the picture though ...

Time for a quick rest ...


We walked a little bit of the trail to Harney Peak -- next year, we will do all 7 miles of Harney Peak!

After about 4-5 miles of walking, we got back in the car and drove to Needle's Point. The kids did a little climbing, but when you have a certain 4 year old who forgets he has to be careful and needs total self control for something like this, climbing doesn't last long (he didn't fall or get hurt, he just made us nervous). :)





I'm pretty sure if I do some digging in pictures, I can find a picture of Justin and myself at this same spot when we were 18 years old. 

One of the 4 tunnels we went through! So thankful Justin did all of the driving!

Another tunnel!

A view of Mt. Rushmore from Custer State Park ...

... and it was literally seconds after I snapped this picture that Jax got car sick again. I had been asking him about every 3-5 minutes how he was doing. Curvy roads tend to make him sick (he got car sick the day before too) ... and he kept saying "I'm fine" ... and then it was "I"m going to puke!" Thank goodness we always go prepared! Poor thing threw up a second time - thank goodness we were almost out of the park and off most of the curvy roads! You would never know he had been car sick though. The second he got out of the car at the campground, he was running to the cabin, eating food, and ready to swim!

Whew! A busy, but fun morning!

No comments: