Three Kids

Three Kids

Friday, March 6, 2009

Faith

“For this child, I have prayed.” 1 Samuel 1:27

One year ago our prayers were answered. One year ago, we found out some of the most exciting news. One year ago, we were not only surprised and shocked, we shocked our doctor. One year ago we were able to let go of the feelings of wondering when our time would be. One year ago, God showed us the importance of Faith. One year ago, we found out that we were going to be parents.

I will never forget that day. Justin and I had visited the doctor after work. We had received the news that all of my levels were low and there was no way I was pregnant. Not only were we going by my low levels, but I had taken 4 pregnancy tests over the last week and all of them were negative. Dr. Schultz talked to us for a while and handed me the prescription for yet another round of Clomid. (round #13) As Dr. Schultz walked out the door of the exam room, he stopped, turned around and told me to go home and take one more pregnancy test. I remember asking him why. Weren’t low levels and 4 negative tests enough of an answer for us? He looked back at me and said, he just had a feeling I needed to go take one more. So, Justin took care of my prescription and headed off to hang out with some friends for a little while. I went home, shed a few tears, and then decided I better listen to doctor’s orders. I nearly fell over when I looked at my pregnancy test and it was positive. I couldn’t stop shaking, and I was about 100% sure that I had messed something up with the test. I immediately called Justin … and I got his voicemail … so I called and called until he answered. Neither one of us could believe it so I took another one – positive again. Still not believing it, I took a 3rd one the next morning before calling the doctor. Nobody could believe it! I remember talking to my nurse (we had gotten to know her quite well), and she told me that my call to her was some of the best news she had ever received. I remember crying as I talked to her on the phone that day.

During the months of infertility I had a hand-written sign on my fridge with an important Bible verse:
“Faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the conviction of things unseen.” Hebrews 11:1

This Bible verse happened to come from watching the Hour of Power. I will admit there were a number Sundays we did not attend church. It seemed that every time I had to take a pregnancy test, it was a Sunday morning. And while church might have been the best place for me on those days, it also felt like the worst. I watched all the families with babies, and it was just too hard to go. I even remember one Sunday that we got to the parking lot, and I made Justin turn around and go back home, because I was not going to walk into church crying. We became very familiar with the Hour of Power on those Sundays. One particular Sunday the sermon was about Faith, and this verse was read over and over. After hearing it once I ran for a paper and pencil to write it down – and that verse was posted on the fridge so that I could read it every morning/afternoon/evening. We were taught the importance of Faith as well as learning about God’s timing. I will admit it was difficult for me to put this in God’s hands and trust that our prayers would someday be answered. I had to read Hebrews 11:1 many times each day … and still would question it somedays. There was no doubt in our mind that if we had a baby girl, her middle name was going to be Faith. (We had to stick with “J” for a first name.)

My house is decorated with Willow Tree Angels, and each one has a very special meaning to me. Many of them have been given to me by Justin. During the infertility process, he came home from work one day with one of the sweetest gifts for me.
This sat on my window sill in my kitchen as reminder each day to hold onto hope. I can’t tell you how many days I looked at that Willow Tree and cried. Right now, it sits in the middle of my collection, and I still look at it daily.
Wouldn’t you know it – the day after I found out that I was pregnant, Justin brought home another gift for me.

I made sure that this one sat on my window sill right next to the Hope Willow Tree. I remember hiding it on a few occasions when we had some family and friends over and hadn’t shared the news with them yet.
When Jordyn was born, I was able to give Justin a Willow Tree that held a special meaning.

I gave this to Justin at the hospital. He was so proud of it – it sat next to all of the flowers in my hospital room.
And of course it wouldn’t be a collection without this one …

There are no words to tell you how incredibly blessed we feel to have been given the gift of a precious, healthy, baby girl. Jordyn Faith is the love of our lives. No matter how tough of a day we’ve had, her little face melts our heart. She is what we hoped for! She is the proof of the importance of our Faith.

5 comments:

Lee Anne said...

I am bawling! Such a wonderful day to celebrate your faith and trust in Him!!

Enjoy your celebratory weekend!

The Ginskeys said...

Wow! What an entry. You have such a strong faith...God is good.
So happy for you and your family.

doshtate said...

Reading this made me completely tear up at work! So wonderful and beautifully written. God is good, all the time! This reminds me so much of my mom's own story of trying to conceive Kim - 7 years of trying finally resulted in success, and then the try for #2 gave them the best child ever - ME! :)

Keep up with the updates - I love to watch Jordyn grow from a far!
Love,
Katie

Dandelion Momma said...

That was a wonderful post, Jessica. Thank you for sharing.

Stephanie

P.S. - I gave Josh that same father Willow Tree in the hospital when Logan was born!

Lauren Kelly said...

This is sooo beautiful. God is awesome!!! :o)