Three Kids

Three Kids

Monday, March 30, 2009

Big Girl! (Part 2)

*See below for Part 1*
Not only is Jordyn a big girl - Mommy has had to learn to be a Big Girl too! Now that Jordyn is 5 months old, we decided it was time for her to begin sleeping in her crib in her room. If you had asked me 5 months ago if Jordyn would still be in a bassinet in our room when she was 5 months old, I would have said absolutely NOT! Little did I know, my feelings would change about that!


When Jordyn was about 2 months old, we were ready to put her in her crib. She loved taking naps in her crib, and she loved to just play in the crib. However, when she got RSV and was put on a breathing monitor, we were not going to let her leave our side. The fear of her stopping breathing took over our feelings about the crib, and we wouldn't let her take naps in the crib or sleep there at night. We wanted her right next to us in case the monitor went off.


Now Jordyn is to the point of almost outgrowing the bassinet (literally - there's only about 2-3 inches before she would outgrow it), and we decided it was time for the crib. To keep us sane (or at least me), we bought an Angel breathing monitor. This monitor detects breathing and movement. There is a pad that is placed under her mattress that will detect all of her movement. We have a monitor in our room that will go off if it can't detect her movement.


So - night #1 - successful - Jordyn slept through the whole night. :) The monitor went off once, but it was because she had moved away from the pad - it's a great sign that the monitor works well! I will admit, I still caught myself reaching over to her bassinet in the middle of night to try and touch her - only to remember that she was in another room. I guess moms have to be big girls too! :)

3 comments:

Lee Anne said...

Aw...you are growing up too! So glad it went well and you are being very brave! Hee Hee! Always hard to "let go" and understandable why you didn't want to sleep away from her.

Sounds like you have an eater! When does she get veggies and fruits? She will be in heaven if she likes cereal so much! I bet you have an early table-food eater.....

Such cute pictures as usual! I love her in brown.

Jess :) said...

How sad, that I didn't even get to hear about this at work today!! I'm so bummed. :( I guess that's what I get for my typical Monday!

Anyways, good for you and Justin! I'm so proud of you, both! :) Like I told you before, though, I TOTALLY understood why we she was sleeping right next to you and I would have done the EXACT same thing!!

I'm off to try to go to sleep tonight. I hope it will work! Oh, remind me to tell you about my "drop-in" today ~ in the morning when you come down for our "chat time."

Love ya,
Jess :)

Claire said...

Aw, good luck! And that Angel monitor sounds really clever!

Cxx